Tuesday, 30 November, 2010 at 3:17 PM
There are several things about today that distinguishes it from other recent days:
- Although I didn't have a meeting until later in the day, I woke up this morning instinctively knowing that I would do my best work in the company of others.
- So I dressed and went to a coffee shop to work.
- Throughout the morning as I'd dressed, I kept thinking how cool it would be if I had a hat. But not any hat. Very specifically, I wanted a black hat.
- As I drove to my chosen coffee shop, I considered taking a diversion to shop for a black hat.
- But instead, I gave myself a very stern talking to about staying on track. I even gently told my inner spoiled child who wanted a hat right now that if I get great work done today, perhaps I could go shopping after the work is done. And see about that black hat.
- However I allowed myself one stop before the coffee shop: the post office, to check my box.
- In my box was a card telling me I had a package.
- When I traded the card for my package, it was a huge box. Huge and lightweight.
- Outside, I opened the box. Inside was a hat. A black one. Sent from a friend who wears a lot of hats and is downsizing her possessions, as am I.
- I've seen this hat before. Even tried it on. While it's not perhaps THE best shape for my face, and there may be other hats in my future that look better on me, I can't stop thinking that it is A Very Fine Thing Indeed that my friend sent me a hat and I received it This Very Day When I Wanted It The Most. It's a pretty hat and I love it. As I do the friend who decided to send me a hat for no reason, other than to surprise me on a rainy Tuesday.
- I got good work done in the coffee shop, while wearing my happy black hat. Checked MANY things off my list.
- Now I'm going to run an errand. Maybe two. And then I will continue working.
- And meet a lovely client.
- The rain doesn't bother me much at all, this very fine day.